It’s there when we need it….

We don't even know we have it, until we need it and then we're so happy to have it.

HOPE

When you think about HOPE and cancer the two are inseparable.

Before cancer, life is really a daily lesson.  We don't think about HOPE very much unless there's something out of the ordinary that is a part of our day.  Maybe we're up for a promotion and we HOPE we get it.  Maybe one of our kids' is in a school play and we HOPE he/she does well.  But we don't sit around and HOPE for a decent salad at lunch or getting out of the office on time.

So we don't call on our HOPE very often if our lives are fairly normal.

Cancer changes that in an instant.  Nano-seconds have we hear "YOU have cancer,"  where ever HOPE lives inside us, it presents itself in waves of emotion. When we cry after hearing we have cancer, HOPE is in those tears.  When we hug a loved one for support, HOPE is wrapped in that embrace.  At night, when we are wide awake thinking about what the future holds, HOPE is the link to that future.

When just hours before, we really hadn't thought about HOPE and the role it plays in our lives.

It allows us to BELIEVE, BE ASSURED and above all, MAKE PLANS....all feelings, cancer tries it's best to destroy.

VN:F [1.9.17_1161]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
6 Comments

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Comments

Betsy Halpern April 22, 2014 at 2:11 am

Andy never gave up hope, even up to the last day or two--and then probably not even then. I agree with Kathie that that hope kept both of us from talking about some important things---we were so sure we could beat it. That is one of my regrets. And now my hope is that I won't get cancer. I never thought about it before, but having cared for my husband through his cancer, I realize that I too could fall victim to the beast---so I keep that hope alive.

Valerie McCaffrey April 20, 2014 at 10:45 am

Hope is everything. We must continue to fight for alternative and "looking out side the box" for the treatment of cancer.

Maureen (Mo) April 18, 2014 at 10:27 am

Wishing all the blessings of Easter.

Laurie Hirth April 18, 2014 at 7:17 am

Hope is that little flame inside of us that is comes to life when we need it most!

Kathie Scott April 17, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I guess I never thought about it that way but you're right....we don't think much about real hope until we feel like we've lost all control. I never gave up hope and I think things were left unsaid because I refused to let Jim see me any other way but I felt like there was no choice.

Brady Merrill April 17, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Hope gets us that next step, gets us up in the morning and keeps us trying. You have to keep that little flame burning and alive.

Johns Hopkins Medicine does not necessarily endorse, nor does Johns Hopkins Medicine edit or control, the content of posted comments by third parties on this website. However, Johns Hopkins Medicine reserves the right to remove any such postings that come to the attention of Johns Hopkins Medicine which are deemed to contain objectionable or inappropriate content. Read our Commenting Disclaimer.

Previous post: